Honor Badge for Airport Opening at Berchtesgaden, by Deschler, 800 Silver. 3.2 cm diameter. The Reichenhall-Berchtesgaden airport was the governmental airport for the Obersalzberg during the Third Reich. In April 1933 on behalf of Adolf Hitler the search was started for an airfield for his second seat of power on the Obersalzberg. During a flight over the region, Hitler himself landed on a vacant field in the community area of Ainring and on on August 16, Hitler ordered the purchase of the site and the building of the airport. The airport was officially inaugurated on January 21, 1934 and on August 28, a plane landed for the first time with Hitler as a passenger. Goering flew for the first time on 31 August 1934 from the airport Reichenhall Berchtesgaden to Berlin. This badge was struck to commemorate the opening and presented to those of note present such as Himmler, Hitler, Goering etc.